Tooth fillings in Fort Collins are the simplest and most affordable way to repair cavities. As cavities get larger, the cost of treating them usually grows. That’s why Dr. Mark Kollar uses a laser cavity detector during dental exams, so he can find decay in its earliest stages. In addition to early cavity detection, we also treat you with dental fillings made of tooth-colored composite instead of amalgam (metal).Doctor Mark Kollar on Tooth Fillings Read Transcript
Tooth fillings. We can change the appearance of silver to white, and we have different ways of doing that, from ceramic inlays, from ceramic-plastic hybrid inlays, onlays, to all-ceramic, to gold, which is still used today and is a very effective long-term, possibly lifetime, solution to restorations, fillings in the back part of the mouth. So, it restores the bite, which affects the way that the root behaves in the bone, and it also restores the ability to chew efficiently and effectively. Fillings are personalized based on what the patient would like to have long-term, and there are trade-offs with time and investment as well as appearance and function. We have the full range of different types of solutions that people can choose from that best fits their life at this point in time when they come and see us.
Composite fillings offer many benefits, including:
- Natural Appearance – You won’t have any distracting dark spots in your smile with composite fillings. We’ll be able to match their color closely to the natural shade of your teeth.
- Less Invasive – Composite fillings require us to remove less healthy tooth enamel than we would for metal fillings.
- No Mercury – While the FDA and the American Dental Association have both deemed the small amount of mercury used in metal fillings to be safe for most adults, we think it just makes sense to avoid mercury in fillings whenever possible.
- Less Likely to Crack – Unlike metal fillings, composite fillings are less prone to cracking over time. If cracks develop in fillings, decay can get in between the cavity and your tooth.
If you think you may need a dental filling, call 970-689-3282 today.
Stay Comfortable While Receiving Your Dental Filling
Our caring team will offer you a cup of coffee prior to your procedure and a soft pillow while you’re in our chair. We’ll numb your mouth with local anesthesia, so you’ll feel no discomfort when we place your filling. You can also watch TV while Dr. Kollar works. If you’re nervous or will receive multiple fillings, you may also opt to receive one of our two forms of dental sedation: laughing gas or an oral sedative.
You May Need Other Dental Restorations for Larger Cavities
For larger cavities, we may recommend one of these dental restorations:
- Dental Crown – Since a crown covers your entire tooth, it is often the best fix for a tooth with a large cavity.
- Inlay or Onlay – These restorations function as a partial crown, since they cover more of the tooth’s surface than a filling but less than a crown. They provide more strength and reinforcement than a filling.
For tooth fillings in Fort Collins, or other dental restorations, call Five Star Dental FC at 970-689-3282.