While many of us worry about cavities, gum disease is actually a bigger threat to your dental health. In its advanced stages, it leads to receding gums, bone loss, and loss of teeth. That’s why it’s so important to find the disease in its early stages and eliminate it with gum disease treatment in Fort Collins.Doctor Mark Kollar on non surgical gum disease treatment Read Transcript
We don't ignore areas that may be more challenged that what a cleaning can accomplish, and we either treat it ourselves with non-surgical gum treatment, which is in between a cleaning and gum surgery, and we have people that do that for us, or we refer to people that are excellent at doing that to minimize the likelihood of surgery in the future to get rid of the spaces between the gums and the tooth if they get too large. We don't try to identify those cases as cleaning cases if there are areas of infection that are in trouble. We identify it. We give the patients choices and instruments and rinses to attempt to manage it themselves before we send them off to some kind of treatment beyond a cleaning.
We want to see what people can do on their own, and then we can identify more predictably just what the issues are. So, when people succeed, we succeed, and that's what we're trying to do. It takes a little bit longer to wait and see how people do. Many people can accomplish a lot on their own and require far less treatment. So we do identify it if it's present. It might not be popular because it's a disease that doesn't hurt. It's tough sometimes to hear, but to ignore it is to invite problems related to treatment down the way that is much more involved and something that ... if you have to have treatment, that's okay, but it's just better off if you don't have to with … when it comes to doing gum surgery.
Our treatment will:
- Return your gums to health
- Prevent tooth and bone loss
- Eliminate unpleasant symptoms like bad breath and painful gums
- Use an ultrasonic scaler for fast and effective results
- Restore your gums’ healthy pink appearance
- Potentially lower your risk of health issues associated with gum disease, including diabetes
If your gums are sore or you notice other gum disease symptoms, call us right away at 970-689-3282.
Early Treatment Keeps Gum Disease From Progressing
Gum disease often involves three stages. We check for signs of disease during every dental exam, so we can keep it from progressing to the final stage where you can experience tooth loss. The three stages are:
- Gingivitis – In this stage, your gums may be tender and inflamed. We’ll remove the bacteria-filled plaque that causes disease with a thorough cleaning. Our ultrasonic scaler keeps the process comfortable for you.
- Periodontitis – Your gums will begin to recede and “pockets” will form between gums and teeth. As bacteria gets into these pockets, you may begin to experience bone loss. At this stage, we’ll use a deeper, two-part cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing to eliminate disease.
- Advanced Periodontitis – Treatment is critical at this stage, or you will lose teeth.
Scaling and root planing is quick and comfortable with our ultrasonic scaler. We can also numb your gums before treatment with local anesthesia. If you’re still concerned about discomfort, you can receive laughing gas or even an oral sedative.
Call Us ASAP If You Experience Gum Disease Symptoms
Since gum disease symptoms aren’t always present, it’s important not to miss regular dental exams. We measure the space between your teeth and gums during your exams; too much space indicates disease. In the meantime, call us right away if you notice:
- Tender and/or bleeding gums
- Gums that are bright red rather than pink
- Chronic bad breath
- Teeth that seem loose
- Gum recession
For effective gum disease treatment in Fort Collins, call 970-689-3282.